HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Welcome to The Sonic Forum, our fansite dedicated to Sonic the Hedgehog, gaming, and general chat. Forums, chatbox, and news about Sonic the Hedgehog, founded by members of The Sonic Community after its destruction. Join us, post, enjoy!

Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ISS Enterprise
Noob
ISS Enterprise

Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread) Empty
Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Yeah, smiley spamming would be bad, especially if they just got to be too much

@Mly
I think, if you wanted to, there was an option to limit the amount of smileys per post or page, but that may just be on my forum panel
Back to top Go down
Mly
The Final Boss
Mly

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Yeah, there probably is some way to do it. If I find it, I think I'll set it to 20 per post. People can occasionally make a wall of text and include that many, reasonably spaced.

And 20 leaves plenty of room for morons to put more smilies in a post than actual letters, and let me and the soon-to-be other staff immediately know who we need to keep an eye on for major breaches of the all-important rule 1.
Back to top Go down
ISS Enterprise
Noob
ISS Enterprise

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Try this:
1)Go to the admin control panel
2)Go to post settings
3)Go down to the posting section
4)The smiley restriction should be about 6 down
Back to top Go down
Mly
The Final Boss
Mly

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:32 pm

No, yours is on a different host. This host has all sorts of different things going on with the ACP. Hopefully I'll be able to get my own server some day not too far off, transfer all the stuff on the site to it, and access the PHP database to do anything you could dream of and some things you couldn't.
Back to top Go down
ISS Enterprise
Noob
ISS Enterprise

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Well, one plus is your host has a larger avatar size than mine, so I could actually find one of my many gifs that fit into the limit
Back to top Go down
Mly
The Final Boss
Mly

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Well, you can get .gifs down really small in file size, if you know what you're doing. Get GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and try to fiddle with color indexes. You will probably NEVER need the maximum of 256 colors, and you likely won't need any more than 64 in the vast majority of cases. Some simple images can use 16 or even 8 colors without sacrificing image quality greatly, especially if they only use one color scale. (Gray, red, blue, green, yellow, purple, etc.)
Back to top Go down
ISS Enterprise
Noob
ISS Enterprise

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 pm

I had actually just made a video file comprised of some clips and ran it through a program called free video to gif converter about 20-30 times before I had gotten the desired quality and size. I don't think you had rejoined Vex at the time I had my original. That one was as slow as hell
Back to top Go down
Mly
The Final Boss
Mly

Subject: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 am

Well, one more thing I know off-hand:

The human eye normally doesn't notice jerky animation if it's greater than ~30 FPS. You might be able to get away with a good-looking result at 25, 20, or even 15 depending upon what sort of changes are happening in the image. Lower FPS = more motion in fewer frames = lower file size. It's a battle of quality vs. quantity, and you need to pick how much you want to lean either way.

You DEFINITELY don't need any frames going by faster than an average monitor's refresh rate, (60 FPS) because then people aren't even likely to see them most of the time due to hardware limitations, and they're just wasted data.

ETA: Split this from Lan's introduction topic. Continue this discussion here, please.
Back to top Go down
ISS Enterprise
Noob
ISS Enterprise

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Mine currently is running at around 10 frames per second(if I remember correctly). My original one was larger, but had only 3-5 frames per second, and you could easily tell
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Subject: Re: Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)Posted at: 

Back to top Go down

Mly & ISS ramble about nothing important (Split from Lan's intro thread)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1